For the lighting, we used a generay light, a felix light, and a fluorescent lamp. The felix we reflected off the top of the white ceiling and we also used a flag for the generay in order for it to appear that the sun is rising. The lamp was a perfect addition that really helped light up our actress’s face.
The sound was surprisingly not difficult for this. We used a camera top mic for the C100, which sounded very clear. I found that it was easier working with sound inside because there are less noises and using the camera audio was way less complicated than using a zoom.
Lumie did a great job being the Director of Photography. She had an idea of what she wanted the shot list to be and she used that to film some great shots. It definitely helped everything to run smoothly during production. We even used a long board in replace of a dolly for the ending sequence, which was really cool.
We had our actress dress in casual clothes and we used props such as computer, notebook, book, etc. We originally wanted our actress to play a guitar as part of her procrastination, but we did not have access to a guitar so we substituted it for a book. We were successfully able to improvise and adjust during production, which was great. I found the location, which was easy to find, and I think was the perfect place for our film.
Directing our actress was definitely more difficult than I thought. The acting also looked different in person than it appeared on film. I thought it wasn’t going to be enough facial expressions because our actor was low energy, but when I started editing the footage in Premiere I was surprised at how well her expressions were displayed.
Editing went smoothly and was actually a lot of fun. I enjoyed editing because of all the creativity it entails. Editing brings the whole story together, like it did with our film. Lumie and I edited the film and I love how we added the typing in the beginning with legacy titles and the times with the blinking colon. The music was easy to find but the sounds were more difficult. Lumie and I spent a while just looking for a simple text sound that we liked, but we finally found one that suited our film. We also added a sound for every time the time would appear on screen, which I thought was a great addition.
I think we did an amazing job with our overall creativity. Madison did a great job with writing the script to make it a compelling story. Also, from using the long board as a dolly to using a lamp to help assist in our production and then editing the film with creative titles and music, I think we nailed it in the creativity department.
I think the most difficult part of this film process was that it was my first time making a short film so I was unsure how it was going to turn out. I couldn’t visualize what it would look like in the final stage, and that’s where a good DP comes into play to help make that happen. I also realized how important pre production is for fiction films and that sometimes you may have to improvise and adjust certain things about your film (creativity is key!). My favorite part of the process is postproduction because I just love editing and making the story come to life. Overall, this was a very fun project to do and I really learned a lot from experiencing this short film process.